Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Update

I've been sick, the kids have been sick, we had another outbreak of Mr. Knacksaps, hopefully put permanently to rest by Ovide, the holidays were extremely pleasant in a low-key sort of way, the kids are now playing Scattergories with a vengeance and some glee and my work computer was taken down yesterday by no fewer than 14 different invasive agents. The very helpful gentleman who disinfected poor Ferret was given leave to re-write everything (that sometimes being easier). All the work stuff is backed up, so that's okay. Three hours after the resuscitated Ferret was returned I realized The List was not backed up elsewhere.

So, it's trivial in the greater scheme of things, but I'm really sad about the loss of that work. More than 6,000 books, and when I finished them, all gone. Well, mostly gone. I'd gotten about ten percent into Note:Books and most of the titles (but not dates read) into LibraryThing.

I'm still sick, by the bye, but now I feel really bad.

And no, I haven't gotten the holiday cards out yet, but I have them, and an address book*, and a really adorable picture of the Offspring, so email me (with contact info) if you'd like a January pick-me-up.

* Yes, an old fashioned spiral-bound book, because I lost all my addresses and phone numbers in an earlier** home-computer related disaster.

** Much earlier. Years ago. So, that's why you didn't get one last yer, either. Or the year before that. Or, you know, ever.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was reading ur blog posts and found some of them to be very good.. u write well.. Why don't you popularize it more.. ur posts on ur blog ‘"ae" and sometimes "ä"’ took my particular attention as some of them are interesting topics of mine too;

BTW I help out some ex-IIMA guys who with another batch mate run www.rambhai.com where you can post links to your most loved blog-posts. Rambhai was the chaiwala at IIMA and it is a site where users can themselves share links to blog posts etc and other can find and vote on them. The best make it to the homepage!

This way you can reach out to rambhai readers some of whom could become your ardent fans.. who knows.. :)

Cheers,

Kaethe said...

Why don't I popularize it more? As far as I'm concerned, popularizing my blog would be like popularizing a Christmas newsletter to family and friends. I have no idea what rambhai readers might be, but I really have no desire to cater to ardent fans. If perople started coming here they might expect something.

Tabby said...

Sad about The List :( (and I'll try not to stop in too often in case it's too much pressure).

Kaethe said...

Tabby, you're always welcome. It's not too much pressure, I just wish I had something interesting to say.

radiantfitness said...

So if I tell you I'm an ardent fan, will you refuse to cater to me?

I think rambhai is a captcha . . .

Kaethe said...

Well, I don't know. You know the only things I can cook are pasta, and that is at best mediocre, what with the anosmia and all, so, if you need catering, I'm sure there's someone better, closer.

But if you're going to claim ardent fandom, then I'll make an exception and cater to you.

You should know though, that the Spouse is not an ardent fan of my cooking or my writing. He's a strict grammarian, who disapproves of run-on sentences and clams.