Friday, February 11, 2022

Review: The Duchess Deal

The Duchess Deal The Duchess Deal by Tessa Dare
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Dare's Regency romance novels aren't history-minded. They are contemporary stories in fancy dress and therein lies the charm. To be fair, the genre is always that way and always has been. Some writers do a tremendous amount of research and firmly tie their stories to a particular time and place. Some even center the conflict and travails in historical events, issues, social problems and I enjoy the depth it gives to those stories
But what I find particularly pleasing in Dare's work is using a contemporary reaction to an historical quandary for comic effect. It's great fun to see someone solve a problem using historical tools in a modern way. Sometimes I don't want to dwell on the gross inequities of the Regency Era.

Library copy

View all my reviews

No comments: