Wednesday, March 09, 2022

Review: Devil House

Devil House Devil House by John Darnielle
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Be sure and check out the cover in larger-than-thumbnail: Alex Merto nailed it! It look so very much like a late 70s "true" horror paperback original. The gaping bat mouth is perfect with the font and the foil. Plus the house is so delightfully pointy. Just picking this up made me happy. Probably I should save it for Halloween Bingo, but I can't wait.

***

Speaking of 70s horror aesthetics I was previously unaware of this beauty with the tiny little house. And now there's a movie I must see.

This morning is blusterous and mostly cloudy with rare sunbeams breaking through to highlight the forsythia here in bloom, or the flowering quince, or a Japanese magnolia, or a single tuft of new intensely green grass. There are many tiny birds flashing in and out of sight, able to hide amid all the lingering browns of winter. The brilliant colors and movement of early spring in NC have nothing to do with horrors in CA, but it's working for me.



View all my reviews

No comments: