Sunday, January 15, 2023

Review: Hat Tricks

Hat Tricks Hat Tricks by Satoshi Kitamura
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

#52 in my 365 Kids Books challenge and multi-year effort to get Goodreads to fix the Top Readers, etc. lists. For a fuller explanation see my review for 101 Amazing Facts about Australia You can see all the books on their own shelf It seems unlikely that I will actually achieve 365 reviews of kids books this year, but I don't want to stop.

Another artist with a very simple, spare visual style, but warm. I like the way the story builds and resolves. Shout out to "brava," a tragically underutilized word. And while the unnecessarily gendering of things is my bête noir, if one is borrowing from a language which has grammatical gender, probably one should make sure the chosen word matches the chosen pronouns.

Special thanks to the library for their clever window display with directions to knock on the glass if you see something you like and then call the provided number and the librarian sitting near the window will check the book out to you and leave it on shelf right over there. Kitamura was new to me and I very happy introduction this was.

Library copy, obvs.

View all my reviews

No comments: