Sunday, April 02, 2023

Review: I Met a Traveller in an Antique Land

I Met a Traveller in an Antique Land I Met a Traveller in an Antique Land by Connie Willis
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It showed up in my feed from Richard, and I immediately downloaded a copy and immediately read it, because I love Connie Willis' writing that much.

Now I have to go back and see what Richard thought. It's very sad, not quite Last of the Winnebagos sad, but heading that way. There are a tremendous number of books that no one wants [right now], and I don't expect anyone to try and save everything. But today I finished a book I haven't read in 47 years, and being able to remember enough to hunt up a replacement copy is just a little bit magic. It isn't necessary to preserve all the books: just the ones anyone might ever want to take a peak at.

And yes, I am full of the irony of the Amazon Kindle system which permits me to buy a text, but to only enable me to keep a copy as long as I own a dedicated reader, and as long as Amazon is able and willing to keep giving me access to it.

Not having to store or carry hundreds of books is a boon, but it's very strange to spend money on books as ephemeral as leprechaun gold.

View all my reviews

No comments: