Wednesday, November 08, 2023

Review: Knockout

Knockout Knockout by Sarah MacLean
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I respect MacLean and would happily have bought this, but honestly money is tight this year, because rich people need tax breaks in order to fund horrible people who hate books, education, and reproductive rights. Not that I am bitter.
But honestly, I deeply dislike this cover. First orange pigments aren't my faves outside of actual pumpkins and fall leaves. And although I love the cover model photos (Yay, women with heads on their shoulders!) the paler background becomes red violet on the back cover. While this is a pretty color, it clashes like anything against that dress. The TMJ is bad enough without gritting my teeth for the duration.
And yes, I have sensitivities to colors and clashing ones are nails on chalkboards to me. My respect goes out to cover artists forced to work with stock images (hell, marketing may have insisted onth chaise) too often though, they just have too many elements in uneasy juxtaposition. They make me imagine endless emails yammering away, and a slide deck from purgatory.
To me, this is a literal hot mess. The book, I expect, will be awesome.


View all my reviews

No comments: