Monday, January 01, 2024

Review: The Menopause Manifesto: Own Your Health with Facts and Feminism

The Menopause Manifesto: Own Your Health with Facts and Feminism The Menopause Manifesto: Own Your Health with Facts and Feminism by Jen Gunter
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Jen Gunter on Twitter is my hero!

Her books are excellent and I agree with what Ayelet Waldman said of The Vagina Bible: The Vulva and the Vagina—Separating the Myth from the Medicine: you need to read this book "if you have a vagina or spend any time at all in reasonably close proximity to one."

I wish I had this book in my early 40s so I could be forwarned about what to expect, know how to discuss symptoms with my doctor, and know how to deal with the transitional chaos and the flooding. I really wish I had known about the flooding ahead of time. Warning: surfing the crimson tide is one thing, but after years of the same waves there will come random flood tides. Be prepared: these will be super plus AND extra heavy overnight situations.

Also it's good to know someone who isn't afraid to call out bullshit on medical advice from celebrities or misogyny on the internet. Gwyneth knows what she did. Also Oprah, and Suzanne Somers. Dr. Jen has zero toleration for doctors who are ill-informed, fat-blaming, or otherwise unacceptable.

Since it wasn't written yet, I've been reading this after the fact, and it is still helpful in practical advice for dealing with my much-interrupted sleep at night, which of course I thought was just me.

And the science geek in me really loves that, when applicable, she includes racial and ethnic breakdowns of the studies, as well as including disparities in outcomes by demographics.

Read this and be well.

Somers spelling corrected 30Apr2922

Library copy

View all my reviews

No comments: