Monday, August 05, 2024

Review: Babe : The Gallant Pig

Babe : The Gallant Pig Babe : The Gallant Pig by Dick King-Smith
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I started by reading one amusing line aloud to the PandaBat. Then he made me start over at the beginning and read it all out loud, and then he read a chapter or two to me. It's hilarious and adorable. He's our favorite pig, now. We have nothing but contempt for poor Wilbur, bless his heart.

***

Just to be clear, I'm not a farm sort of gal. For five years my father kept chickens and we lived in the middle of nowhere and I hate that. Nonetheless, King-Smith has charmed me no end. He writes with great humor and insight into the way people think (even dog and sheep and pig people). Perfect for reading aloud, appealing to all ages.

But please note, the illustrations, though attractive, aren't well suited. The author is talking about how big and lean Babe has grown, and the illustrator is still drawing him as a piglet.

Library copy

View all my reviews

No comments: