Friday, July 09, 2021

Review: The Penderwicks in Spring

The Penderwicks in Spring The Penderwicks in Spring by Jeanne Birdsall
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

2 May 2015

Neither of the girls wanted to read this because they can't bear to think of their beloved Penderwicks growing up and moving on. They want Batty to remain four forever, in her wings, with Hound. I understand the inclination, although I don't share it. That children grow up and face new situations is a good thing. We experience loss, we grieve, we move on; this is what it is to be human. Or maybe I'm just heartless. Well, not entirely. I did in fact laugh aloud at points, and I cried a little, very quietly. Growing up is hard for kids and parents, but sometimes it is lovely, and marvelous new things come out of it. Soon to join the others on my Beloved shelf.

Library copy

View all my reviews

No comments: