Thursday, July 15, 2021

Review: Shit, Actually: The Definitive, 100% Objective Guide to Modern Cinema

Shit, Actually: The Definitive, 100% Objective Guide to Modern Cinema Shit, Actually: The Definitive, 100% Objective Guide to Modern Cinema by Lindy West
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Despite having been told by reliable sources that there are many fine and funny or uplifting or otherwise pleasing longer and shorter works available for my viewing pleasure, I have watched almost nothing during the pandemic. Perhaps the desire will return. Certainly "go and see any movie jammed into a theater full of human beings enjoying a shared experience" is high on my list of things to do in the aftertimes. I will stand in line and pay for the privilege of watching The Care Bears Movie with an audience of toddler babies, and I will love it, as I absolutely did not do working in a theater when that film was originally released.
Nonetheless, even while not watching I have continued to think about movies, recent conversations have included how awful many of the 80s films are upon reviewing, and how hard it is to find something that the whole family will watch as children grow up.

Anyway, West's reviews are very funny and highly recommended. I enjoyed the distraction when I was in pain and I insisted upon reading hilarious passages aloud when I was too loopy on pain meds to do anything else. I shall be eternally grateful to this book and this author for getting me through a bad patch, which gratitude I will immediately repay by purchasing the author’s prior works.

Terribly funny, actually.

Library copy

View all my reviews

No comments: