Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Hi, Remember me?

Yes, I know I haven't been here much lately. This year is proving rather trying for pretty much all of my friends and relations, and I'm trying to be there for them. By the way, even though the stress isn't mine exactly, I'm finding it a challenge to cope without either of my traditional fall backs: petting cats and smoking. Loud albums repeated endlessly through the middle of the night are right out, too. This adulthood thing can be quite the drag.

You know what I'm reduced to?
1. Unknotting tangled kite string. It's like Planarity, only I can play it while watching TV with the kids on the sofa.

2. Haunting Pet Finder for the perfect new kitten. Although, since they're all unspeakably adorable, my fancy changes from moment to moment, and then I have to go back and look at them all again.

3. Looking for the perfect shade of emerald to recover the enormous sofa. [I'd like an easy-care kid- and pet-resistant suede-like fabric in the darker color in the middle one. No, I'm not holding my breath.]

4. Trying to have some fun with the kids before theater camp and school. We saw Journey to the Center of the Earth this weekend (sadly 2-D, but still exciting) and I'm really enjoying reading to them lately: Allie Finkel and Matilda are two girls we all love. Also, I got to judge a fashion show including the neighbors with thrown-together mermaid costumes.

So, life is full and rich, even if I'm working too much, and not reading anything for adults, and spending way too much time thinking about and preparing meals with vegetables. I hope all is well with you, and that your summer is good and full of apple/orange juice pops (or margaritas, or whatever).

If you haven't checked out the fabulous new Readerville, give it a try.

1 comment:

Cara dB said...

Sorry to hear things have been so busy & difficult. I'm with you on the comfort reading, though - I can only challenge myself with reading when things are relatively peaceful.