Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Review: I Hate Hamlet

I Hate Hamlet I Hate Hamlet by Paul Rudnick
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Ghost stories are about real estate, and this is a fabulous apartment, formerly home to John Barrymore who shows up bigger than life and twice as unnatural. Here's why Rudnick is so great: he's putting up the pull of TV series money against the prestige of Shakespeare in the Park and at no time does he assume that one is innately superior. Rather than go with the cliché about the personal connection between audience and stage actor, he gives us two strangers connecting through a commercial jingle. He evokes Noel Coward and The Greatest American Hero, albeit in separate acts. It's funny but kid. And there are swords. I love a sword fight.

Library copy



View all my reviews

No comments: