Tuesday, July 04, 2023

Review: The Road to Roswell

The Road to Roswell The Road to Roswell by Connie Willis
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was trying to find out if an author tour is planned, so I could pick up a hardcover copy from a local bookstore nearish hosting an event where I could say "I love your work" and get a copy signed. Did not find. Checked the publisher website and saw "Category: Romance."

WTH? To be clear, I read a lot of romance, so I am not ragging on the idea. I just can't reconcile having only one Category tag for an author with crossover appeal. But also: did anyone in marketing look at that cover? That cover says "for fans of Welcome to Night Vale (Welcome to Night Vale, #1) by Joseph Fink and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1) by Douglas Adams , and Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi " That cover says humorous scifi, not Romance.

Am I wrong?

***

4th July, 2023

And today I finished reading it, coincidentally over the July fourth weekend during which I also saw Asteroid City. Not the only good time to read it, but pretty good.

The book is better than "pretty good" by a lot. Classic screwball comedy which does require a little love interest, but is more about putting sane people in a maelstrom of amusing absurdity for comic effect. Willis is brilliant at that maelstrom. And at the cinematic references. So many movies are named checked, that one should probably not read it without an interest in movies. A delightful read, and one lending itself to dream casting: there aren't any bad choices no matter when or where the cast is selected.

Personal copy



View all my reviews

No comments: