Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Review: The Suffragette Scandal

The Suffragette Scandal The Suffragette Scandal by Courtney Milan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Lots of people avoid Romance as a genre because
1) they don't care about women in ballgowns
2) everything they know about Romance novels is 40 years out of date
3) they assume Romance is a genre for lonely women with too many cats
4) they buy into the idea that a genre by and about women must be inferior
5) they have no idea where to start.

Let me address those concerns.
1) The ballgown on the cover is just to let you know that this is an Historical Romance, and it is available; no actual ball gowns are worn during the story
2) Although there are still stories being written about nurses falling for doctors and innocent young girls being married off to blackguards, those are by no means the most popular themes these days. This book, for instance, is first wave feminism in all its activist glory
3) And I suppose you believe that the average gamer these days is a teenage boy in his parent's basement* killing something in a first person shooter
4) Honestly I can't imagine that anyone professes this belief, even if they have it
5) Courtney Milan, but also Jezebel.com has been covering the topic with lots of good suggestions

This book is pure enjoyment, but it's the end of the series, so if this really is your first Romance in a while (or ever), go check out The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister short 0.5)at Amazon for 99 cents. Selling shorter interstitial works in the series between novels is a genius move, by the way. You don't have to read the series strictly in order, they aren't that closely tied, but they do share some characters.

***

Since a book can't be both Read and Currently Reading, rereads are harder to keep track of. I try to put in the date I start a new read, but circumstances can move something off the active spot in the kindle carousel. Thus I find myself looking at something else, perhaps the next book to read, when the thought is triggered and I remember there was something. So today I will pick up where I left off two months ago.

Personal copy

View all my reviews

No comments: