Thursday, January 14, 2010

Happy Birthday!

The KitKatPandaBatWolf turns eight today. The excitement will be shared in her class with a boy who's also turning eight. Cupcakes and apple juice boxes for all!

Tomorrow night she's having a winter-themed sleepover. Pizza, and a movie, and a craft project and some games. No doubt there will be cookie cake crumbs all over, and voices long after I tell them to pipe down and go to sleep. I can't wait.

It should be a big deal, this birthday business, shared interest that I have in the original event. But I really don't feel anything very profound. I am aware how quickly the Offspring are growing up, but I'm not saddened by it; I don't feel that anything is lost. On the contrary. I've always loved them, of course. But each year as they grow, and develop more interests, make more friends, add more skills to their tool belts, I just find myself liking them more. Now they recommend books, and music, and movies, and I'm probably going to share their enjoyment in all of them. Goodbye and Good Riddance to Tinky Winky.

***

Yesterday the Spouse was telling me that one of the Jonas brothers had gotten married. "it's got to be Kevin or Joe" I speculate aloud to the daughter, as we conclude that Nick is 17 or so these days. "He's 23, I think" the Spouse adds to clarify. Definitely Kevin, then.

Here's the funny part: the Spouse comes bearing this matrimonial announcement, but he mocks me for knowing their names.

I guess it's Tinky Winky all the way down.

2 comments:

Debi Harbuck said...

Oh, it sounds to me like you're handling the birthday business exactly right. It's a celebration of her being and of her being exactly who she is. :)

I hope she has a marvelous time at all her celebrations.

Kaethe said...

Thank you! It's always nice to hear compliments from someone I know is a great mother.

And yes, she did have a marvelous time at all her celebrations.