Sunday, September 29, 2019

Miss Melville Returns - Evelyn E. Smith

Review:

Miss Melville Returns - Evelyn E. Smith

This is my cover. I like it rather more.

 

One advantage of re-reading for Bingo: I get around to finally writing up books I loved once upon a time. These books are every bit as charming as I recall. Miss Melville, like Miss Marple and an infinite string of other Misses of a certain age, is overlooked and discounted, still. When artists keep ending up dead, she notices, she listens, she figures it out.

 

It's a little funny to me that I liked these so much as a college student. Now it makes sense: there aren't nearly enough middle-aged heroines around. And Miss Melville is always so polite, so well-brought-up, so pleasant that no one seems to notice how very clever she is.

 

While this would suit a number of squares, including Cozy Mysteries, I picked Amateur Sleuth, because a retired assassin and lauded professional painter amuses me as a sleuth. Also, I really love the word "sleuth"

Original post: Defenestraethe.booklikes.com/post/1960089/miss-melville-returns-evelyn-e-smith

1 comment:

Vilhelm man said...

Have A Nice Sunday!