Friday, September 06, 2019

Reading progress update: I've read 184 out of 276 pages.

Baby of the Family - Tina McElroy Ansa

Sorry about the spam. While perusing the Vampires reading list I kept finding books that I had read but hadn't added here.

 

Please don't misconstrue my lack of actual progress in my book as lack of interest. The episodic nature of it let's me slow down, as does having read it before. But also, I'm really savoring it. It's closely observed life: the sounds, the tastes, the way things look, the way it feels to run through a sprinkler.

 

And then BAM! there's a ghost that you didn't expect. Or a close encounter with some new person in her small town. Lena is a curious and charming child so everyone pets her, and makes much of her, and tells her why a song on the jukebox is their favorite.

 

And I don't know if it was an editorial mistake or just me misreading, but I was wrong about it being South Carolina. It is Georgia, and probably very like Macon, but not so similar as to be a problem.

 

Tomorrow though I will definitely finish this book and start a new one. All my requests are coming in, and of course there's also a great big stack from my shelves that seemed like they might do...and I'm picking out more all the time, and then changing my mind. It's like standing at the counter of Mad Hatter's and trying to decide whether to go with the black and white cake, the lemon lattice, or the strawberry, and whatever else there may be on any given day, knowing that whatever I choose is going to be delightful and an enormous slice that I can share with my companion, who always chooses something different, and when we are both full there will still be plenty to take home and have later.

 

Halloween Bingo is just like that, although rather lighter on the buttercream frosting.

 

As she scrubbed, pearls of sweat formed on the brow and upper lip of the beautiful beautician's face. Like liquid jewels, the perspiration formed and rolled off Mamie's face unattended as  she continued to work up more fruity suds. On Mamie's skin, greasy smooth and taut, the sweat looked like the beads of water that Lena had seen her grandmother spill once, only once, onto her prized upright piano from a vase of flowers.

 

Damn, that's evocative writing. That "only once" conveys so much.

 

I just didn't want my lack of speed to suggest lack of pleasure.

Original post: Defenestraethe.booklikes.com/post/1948282/reading-progress-update-i-ve-read-184-out-of-276-pages

No comments: