Saturday, May 22, 2021

Review: Chu's Day

Chu's Day Chu's Day by Neil Gaiman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've been looking forward to this FOREVER, so when Adam Rex posted the picture I had to go ahead and create an entry for the book.

***

The other picture book I checked out last night. Tash read it immediately, because she has adored pandas for a decade and because it's NEIL GAIMAN and ADAM REX. And then, after supper, she and I read it together, and then we read it again when Veronica joined us.

The text is simple, straightforward, and minimal. It's a cute joke and their could be a million of them. But the art! Rex brings out the details of an animal-only world that delight and amuse. Tiny hats! The special library table for the elephant! The mother's veil! The saddle oxfords! Everything the eye catches is just another wonderful little joke or addition. Rex didn't just illustrate the story, he really fleshed it out and gave it depth, without words. One of the most successful children's book collaborations I've ever seen.

Yet another example of how people don't stop enjoying picture books when they become proficient readers, they just become embarrassed to be seen with them. By example I try to show them that a good books are for everyone.

Library copy.

View all my reviews

No comments: