Saturday, May 22, 2021

Review: Moonday

Moonday Moonday by Adam Rex
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is part of my 365 Kids Books challenge. For a fuller explanation see my review for 101 Amazing Facts about Australia You can see all the books on their own shelf. Yay, Reviewers list is fixed, as far as I can tell. Still waiting for the Readers list to be fixed, though.

Continuing my romp through just some of the fabulous Rex books.

***
8 August, 2019

Everyone has moon displays for the 50th anniversary of the moon landing and for the theme of this year's summer reading programs. So I picked it up again. Still love it.

Also I worked out that what I only very dimly remember is (probably) the landing, not the moonwalk. It was a big deal about the moon on TV in the afternoon is all I recall, and I am by no means confident that I really remember it, rather than having created a memory over the years. Everyone remembers where they were when they heard certain momentous news events, but comparisons of memories immediately after such events and a year or more later show that most of us are far off in our accounts, so I remain skeptical about my accuracy in every regard.

You know what I do remember vividly and confidently from that same year? Dr Seuss books (One Fish, Two Fish and Fox in Socks), the apartment building fire somewhere close enough to walk to, two of my Christmas presents (a Snoopy-shaped pillow with my name on it and a little flying saucer toy with a purple alien inside), practicing writing my name on the floor of my mother's bedroom while listening to a taped letter-from-my-father-who-was-in-Viet-Nam [apparently my preschool teacher had taught me an incorrect spelling], some kind of Pop Tart-like breakfast food shaped like an elephant in chocolate (my favorite) or a lion in peanut butter (my brother's favorite), breaking a tooth on same, Space Food Sticks, and Tang.

Feel free to share what you remember from 1969, if you do, or from the year you were four, if you don't.

***

16 May, 2014

Now everyone is going to be wanting one! I love the idea of a small planatoid in my backyard. Sure, there are drawbacks, but apparently it's possible to get the gravity just right, so that one can walk around upside down like the Little Prince.

Gorgeous story with a clever kid.

Library copy

View all my reviews

No comments: